OUP now uses voice across five workflows – picking, put-away, bulk very narrow aisle (VNA), relocation, and stock counting – with over 70 personnel working eyes-free, hands-free at any given time. Additional benefits include:
- VoiceMan Screen-to-Voice features session persistence: tasks sit on the device to ensure uptime during any blackspots.
- Processes such as picking are now more fluid as voice users can be ‘walking and talking’ to the next pick without waiting to view an instruction on a screen.
- OUP added voice to its forklift truck (FLT) VNA area, removing the need for distracting screens and allowing associates to focus on safely and efficiently moving pallets.
- Training time has been cut in half.
- The process has been cost-effective and OUP has experienced productivity gains in excess of 10%.
- OUP’s WMS did not need to be modified to accommodate the voice solution.